Sunday, October 31, 2010

Begging for Candy Really Should Only Happen One Day A Year

Oh, West Virginia, why are you so silly sometimes?

The thing is, I love my state. I might not have appreciated it fully until I left it, but I do in fact love that I am a West Virginian. I doubt you'll find people as kind, as generous, or as hardworking as those I've grown up with.

Not that we don't have our problems: meth, trailers on stilts, and Halloween trick-or-treating not happening on Halloween.

The last one I find the most concerning. Why are we celebrating a holiday not on that holiday? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Isn't the day itself important? And, I've heard all the reasons. It is way too dangerous for kids when adults are out celebrating, people are up to sneaky rituals, blah blah, blah. There are no facts to support this and, more, Baltimore tricks or treats on Halloween. Big Bad City versus tiny, tiny town in rural WV. Which one is the more dangerous? Has the higher crime rates? And, yet, kids survive trick or treating in Baltimore every single year.

I'm sayin', WV, stop the insanity.


Cheers,
LV

P.S. We do have wineries. Kirkwood being one. We also have college, wear shoes, and marry our cousins only as frequently as any other state.

No comments: