Sunday, October 17, 2010

No Kill Nation

Okay, just this once, nothing ironic or funny. Just a really good movement that I believe in. Go to the site. Look around.

My pets haven't come from shelters, but only one of them came from a pet store. I take in strays.

Right now, I have a cat named Davey. We found him in a Wal-Mart parking lot. When I took him to the regular shelter, thinking this tiny kitten would surely find a home fast (I was just starting college and had three dogs at the time), I was told that a biting cat couldn't be adopted. I tried to explain he had only bitten my mom after we had trapped him once then had to switch boxes because there was a hole in the one he was in. He was, at the time, about the size of my hand. Eyes open but so, so tiny. Fiercely afraid of everything. The explanation did not move the woman behind the desk so I asked for the cat back. He's four now and is the most affectionate cat I've ever been around. He likes to "give kisses" by rubbing his face against mine or my boyfriend's. He often sleeps curled in the crook of one of our arms while we sleep. He comes when called. Likes showers. And meows loudly when we leave the apartment. Yeah, some biting cat. Left up to the county shelter, he wouldn't have had any life.

He is not the first animal I've taken in, won't be the last. But I hate knowing that there are a lot of animals not finding homes or a chance. Particularly ones that have all ready been mistreated or neglected and need a little extra care and attention.

Cheers,
LV

2 comments:

Liz B said...

Oh, kitty!

I can't have pets, really: living on my own in a tiny little apartment without much spare cash for vet care or proper food, equipment, etc., it's not all that good an idea. But I give money to BARCS when I can, and it's wonderful that you've given Davey a home.

TheWandaFish said...

I have a shelter kitty. But it's very depressing going into those places and wondering who will or won't find a home...