Monday, October 04, 2010

Lasso of Truth

Because Wonder Woman is my hero.
Actually, it is magnetic and it is in Photoshop. But it is also the lasso of truth because I can't quite get it to function. I blame my parents. I didn't have video games when I was coming up. Well, we had a Sega, a master system Sega, and Ghostbusters, Duck/Safari Hunt, and Motor-Cross. I hunted wild game because the gun was fairly easy to aim.

When I attempted the heights of Mario Brothers, I discovered I didn't know how to jump. Which brings us to now. I still can't jump over those random gaps in Mario. Nope. I die in each and every crevice or fire-pit, only making it to the next level is someone takes pity and helps me.

Which brings me back to the lasso and the cropping tools. Yeah, sure, the rest of my generation are savvy, could be surgeons. I, I have clumsy hands. The left one, well, it has a Frankenstein scar that excuses its extra oafishness, but what excuse the right? Laziness, I think. They just don't want to do anything else. I mean, all ready they type all day. (Swift they are too. Their one skill.) So, they've decided no more. If I want to use computer tools with any sort of dexterity, I'm going to have to use my feet.

Cheers,
LV

4 comments:

Liz B said...

The lasso tool is way overrated, unless you have something snazzy like one of those tablets that actually lets you draw right on the screen. Trying to outline something with the mouse is like trying to do brain surgery with a hoe. It's worse with trackpads.

There are workarounds in photoshop for almost anything. If you want to isolate an element of a picture from the background, people who know what they're doing use the arcane secret of masking, but I just duplicate the layer, lower the opacity on the top version, tint the bottom version some contrasting shade, and proceed to erase everything on the top version that isn't the element I want. This is an ideal way of changing hair or eye color on people without screwing up the whole picture's color balance.

sorry for wall o'text.

Cate said...

Hey, I appreciate these tips, too.

Tabitha said...

Liz--you are awesomeness.

Liz B said...

anytime--I have a bunch of these. I'm almost entirely sure I do things other than the books would suggest, but hey, it works.