Monday, October 04, 2010

Not a foodie, but a review just the same

I just got back from lunch at Kona Grill. The boyfriend is a bartender there so we got to be part of their practice opening--which meant free food and drinks. Very cool.

Except that I am so picky. Alex has been going on about the deliciousness for weeks now. Of course, when he goes on about it he talks about coconut-this or pineapple-that. And some-sort-of-nut-crusted-meat. Which to you, with your adult taste buds, probably sounds fantastic.

But, I like mac'n'cheese. Hot dogs. I do like veggies--squash casserole, potato soup. But green and leafy are basically bad words. (Yes, I know. I know every thought you are thinking about the badness of this.)

So, I was afraid when we went in today because there were no substitutions for the practice round. If it came with spinach, I couldn't sub wok-tossed veggies. If rice came with coconut, I was going to have to cope.

Goodie for me, I was pleasantly surprised. The lemon-crusted halibut did come with spinach and coconut-rice. I admit to not even tasting the spinach, but the rice was really good. (I got the sauce on the side.) Plus, Alex's Las Vegas roll was fantastic. I thought I was done with sushi. My last two sushi meals were less than appealing; memorable but not in a good way. But Kona's sushi--that I would do again.

But the best part: a free drink with lunch. And I do mean adult beverage. Strawberry-Basil Lemonade deliciousness. If I didn't have class tonight I would have had 2 or 5 more. At which point Alex would have had to pour me into a cab, but I would have felt that it was ample reward for the 4 hours I spent in the design lab yesterday and an incentive for the hours I'm planning to spend tomorrow.

So, my point: If you are a little less picky than I am, go and eat at Kona. You know, when it opens. Also (because I'm totally self-serving) tip your bartender well.

Cheers,
LV

1 comment:

Kristina Baker said...

Sounds good. I love eating out as well. : ) About your comment on my blog, I guess that the internet is not "the" prime vehicle for hate but it is "a prime vehicle" for it. I'm glad other people feel strongly about it as well.