Friday, November 26, 2010

Seriously, America?

In just a few days I'll be flying home. Oh, where is my ship? Where are the days of climbing aboard a wooden vessel and getting some wind in the canvas and eating weevils in the hard tack?

But seriously. I'm concerned. Not just about the body scanners (which I will refuse, if it comes to it) but the aggressive get-a-grope they are calling a pat down. I'm worried that Maryland appears to have some sort of law that states that  no one is allowed to videotape police officers--or someone is interpreting it that way. And apparently Illinois really does. I'm concerned that Oklahoma's amendment stating that all judges would have to adhere only to state and federal law (as opposed to any foreign law) is being challenged. I'm concerned that illegal immigrants can get driver's licenses. I'm concerned that a New Jersey judge upheld a man's right to rape and beat his wife under Sharia law. (Note: It was later overturned in appeals.) And I'm concerned that we want to continue drilling off-shore. I don't know where to begin with the horror. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and furious.

What's happening out there?

Cheers,
LV

2 comments:

Michael Koenig said...

I must say I haven't heard from anyone who has traveled since the scanners and gropers became an issue. I can't decide if this is media hype or not. How bad was traveling?
This dilemma reinforces my love affair with trains and really hope the train companies try to compete with airlines for passengers. Though in my mind every train trip includes a love affair and/or murder mystery (North by Northwest, Silver Streak, The Orient Express) so I'm likely to be disappointed there too

Tabitha said...

I haven't flown out of anywhere that has the scanners as the primary system. Tomorrow, when I fly in, I'm coming through Huntington, WV perhaps the smallest airport ever. We have rocking chairs and when you step into the airport you can see, well, all of it from luggage claim to exit.

But the point is less that I've had or expect to have a problem and more that I feel it is a violation of my privacy. Not to mention the new TSA pat downs which are invasive. Even if all the stories aren't true, some of them are--even the TSA has akcnowledged that. We're letting our rights be eroded on a daily basis. And, if that doesn't get ya, the cost should. We have a huge, huge national debt but we're spending money on technology that alot of people don't think is going to be that effective. It doesn't see inside body cavities, so what exactly is the point?