Wednesday, November 24, 2010

All That Jazz

Right now I'm freezing in my mother's study. She keeps the house well under 70 degrees. However, I am also munching on  a sneak preview of tomorrow's turkey. At least, the first. There shall be two at this year's festivities. This does not out-do the year we had three at the same meal. Still, despite the deliciousness I find it hard to concentrate on anything but the possibility of my toes freezing off. If only there were a seal to gut and then live inside.

Did I take it too far? Did I lose you? If it was only a near-thing or you've come back I promise to keep the carnage to a minimum.

Technically I celebrated Thanksgiving yesterday with m'dad and sisters and his wife in Elkins, WV. There was only a single turkey and I was slightly warmer. Today, after we'd eaten breakfast, we got into a debate on politics from Mrs. Palin and President Obama to the Health Care plan, immigration, and body scans. I started the argument on a throw away joke. Silly of me as I am a loner in that house, at least without my boyfriend around. Oh, holidays, what would you be like if I wasn't being attacked by a bunch of rabid hyenas? Even when I agree with them, I still feel under attack.

And yet I prefer this to conversations of the personal variety. A writer in a household with math and science people is, you can imagine, an enigma. I'm constantly under their construction. One day, they believe, I'll be fixed and instead of living surrounded by books I will succumb to numbers and matched furniture and the ability to survive in an office.

Oh, how foolish. How very, very foolish.

I hope your holidays only involve the deaths of those you plan to eat. Not that I'm advocating cannibalism, mind you.

Gobble!
LV

No comments: