Sunday, September 19, 2010

There's No Place Like Home

Dorothy had it right, is all I'm saying. (Yes, this is The Wizard of Oz theory of web-page building.)  I don't like getting deep into Munchkinland and finding out I have to hike a yellow-brick road home. What I mean by this is that, when wandering over a page, I don't want to have back button my way to the main page or even type in the address again. (This is especially bad as I often don't know what it is.) I want something as quick and incantatory as Dorothy's magic slippers, i.e. a link that clearly says Home.

Navigating a page should be easy. I would especially think as a beginning writer I need to make it as simple as possible for visitors. Why would they bother to discover when they don't have a vested interest? It isn't like they are stuck over the rainbow with a badass witch hot on the trail. They've got their own magic, be it a new google search or simply  clicking a tiny x with their magic arrow; ain't nothin' keepin' them in Oz.

I was thinking of separating out my writing, on the off chance that I get published  in more than one genre. But, whatever the topic separation, I want each one to be represented on each page. I don't want someone to have to go home to get to a new location. (Although,I'm fairly certain that Dorothy's shoes only work in Oz, so the theory breaks down here.)



Cheers,
LV

2 comments:

Marie said...

Hahaha - love this (and I love the Wizard of Oz). I am excited about creating a website but have little to nothing to put on it (unless family life is of interest).

Tabitha said...

I think The Wizard of Oz probably has the answers to all of life's questions.