Monday, September 20, 2010

Nutrition Information

So, fat content? Calories? Total carbs? Well, those are going to be high, but don't expect your cholesterol to benefit.

I'm thinking of using this phrase, Not So Southern, as a tag for me as a person and a writer. I definitely feel the need to describe my background as I come from the regionally confusing West Virginia (we seceded to fight for the North, but ya'll know we got accents and serve sweet tea). Plus, I love the trees, the waving at strangers, chatting people up when I'm in line at the market but I also spent my formative years in cities with their museums and have never shot a gun let alone tried to blend into the trees to shoot a deer. (Of course, my family tradition is more Napping Season, than hunting. I think that's why they are all better at fishing. You can basically sleep until something snags your line, be it old boot or actual fish.)

Anyway, the gist of that ramble is: My background informs my writing and my writing is everything from dirty sex poems, to funny memoirs, to poems about canning (that is, picking vegetables and preparing them to keep in jars).

I also aspire to write fiction. Probably science-fiction. So, yeah, as stated before, I'm quirked. I feel people need a little prepartion for that.

Plus, I like blogging. So, that could be a fun portion of the page, letting people know what I'm up too. (I also think it would be a little boot to the bum to send work out. If I didn't, what would I report?)

And, on that news front: I hope that there will be news. Right now, my memoir class is publishing a collection. And, I'm tapped. But, as I suggested to someone else, I'd love to support my fellow MFA-ers on the site and their upcoming stuff. (Like Ms. Kimberly and her recent publication. So excited for her.)

Maybe I could do the whole thing as a future page--as if I'm successful all ready. Or at least marginally active.

So, the break down:

1) Who I am and how that happened,
2) What I write, with samples. I think.
3) A blog, 'cause I said so.                
4) News--mine and fellow writers.      
5) Something just for fun.                   

Sudoku? Word Search? OOH! One of those puzzles where you have to move thepieces inside of the box to make it?  (If I use the anatomy thing, it could be another anatomy picture.) Or links to my influences, like Highlights, the children's magazine?

I actually think content is the toughest. Also, I need to put writing samples up, but once I do that, it is off limits (basically) for publishing.

Oh, the horror!

Cheers,
LV




2 comments:

Marie said...

Isn't there a way to put of excerpts from larger pieces with a caveat that states it is an excerpt? Or, can that only be from something once it is published? I really need to find out about the whole publishing on the web thing.

Tabitha said...

I think you can do excerpts with a little more flexibility, but alot of publications won't take things if they have first been published to the web. It is individual, but I've seen it alot.

So, basically, I don't know for certain either.