Monday, September 27, 2010

Corrugated Cardboard and Curtains

I don't know about WordPress. The sites I've seen are lovely, but sort-of generic and corporate, somehow. As I finished watching Just One of the Boys, I can't help but think the 1980s non-PC-ness (yep, made that up) shines in comparison to the newly polished movies on the same themes. I mean, you watch Just One of the Boys and then watch She's the Man, with Amanda Bynes. (Don't get me wrong. I like Amanda Bynes.) But which one surprises you? Makes you laugh? I bet it is going to be the first.

(Note: The kid playing the younger brother, credited as Billy Jacoby but now on IMDB as Billy Jayne, grew up quite nice. And slutty girl grew up to play both Sasha and Anna Nardini on Gilmore Girls.)

How does that apply to web design? Well, if I'm as polished or a s boxed as a corporate site, I think I will 1) want to gouge my eyes out and 2) be dishonest enough to be off-putting.

Or is that crazy talk? Does every body want sleek and shiny? Posh and boxy? Is this what the world has come to be, folks?

Ahem. Back on track: Tuesday I'm gonna spend some design time with WP, if it doesn't go well, I'll commit to working in the lab. If that doesn't go well, I'll be forced to drop out of my program and take up residence in the fall-back of all English-Lit majors: Life in a Box.

Anyone get a new refrigerator recently?

Cheers,
LV

1 comment:

Cate said...

I threw in the towel with Dreamweaver. I can't even get the "easy to use" WP to do what I want. One week to go...