Saturday, September 04, 2010

Larry Doyle: Funny writer, success story, and awesome page haver

Larry Doyle is not a little known author. No.

As his page states, "he was born on planet earth. He is a primate." He is also awesome. He has written screenplays, is a former writer for the Simpson's, and has his very own books--that he has also had made into movies.

I think I want to be him when I grow up. Him or Tina Fey. It is a tough decision as far as grown-up aspirations go. But I can say, without hesitation, that I want his page.

First, the overall theme is lovely. With its drive-in movie and black and white sci-fi reel, this main page is obviously thematically about his newest novel Go, Mutants! As you can see from the above picture, it is all about those early thrills and B-movie spills.

But the page is also super easy to navigate. At the top of the page are links (with correlating graphics) titled blog, book, ink, tv, film, meat, and contact. Following each link takes you much where you would expect. Except, perhaps, meat. And on each new page the links are repeated with a new one that will take the viewer home. Going a step further, you can scroll over the pages and find yourself warped to book excerpts and other fun stuff like cult classics and Gidget movies--obvious inspirations for the book and the page.

From this web portal, one definitely gets a sense of who Larry Doyle is as a writer--quirky, funny, smart. If you are enticed to keep viewing and reading the pages, then how could you not be enitced to buy the books or see his movies?

As far as what would I change---mm, occassionally as you explore the fun, there is no way home but the back button. I always like a way to get back to the main page in case I've strayed too far afield, gotten bored, or have decided there was something vital I needed/missed.

But, mostly, I would only change the owner of the page from Mr. Doyle, to me.

Cheers,
LV

2 comments:

Marie said...

There was an error when I tried to leave a comment... sigh. Perhaps it will appear (as indicated indicated, "Your comment has been saved. It may take a moment for your comment to appear on the site.").

Tabitha said...

I'm sorry. Rats to the error.